Sunday, July 15, 2007

Netherlands, herring

Herring is a small oily fish, which has been part of traditional diets since 3000 B.C. There are numerous ways how to serve this fish, but Dutch prefer to eat it raw. First, I hesitated to put it into my moth, and better took picture of one older dutch gentleman who was enjoying posing for my picture:-) Later, I tried anyway! ... Its delicious. Can be served with pickles or onion. I tried the onion. What surprised me that it doesn't really smell fishy. There are some small bones. So be cautious.

BUT!!!
Its said that herring is served raw. Usually the fish is first cured with salt, though. Doing this the water is extracted. There may be also a second stage when flavorings are added (vineger, salt, sugar). I wonder if I would like a real raw one... I hesitate.

1 comment:

talk said...

I did try this once. But that was it. I cannot stomach the sight of a dead fish, let alone, eat it raw :-)