Friday, May 18, 2007

Freytag & Berndt Karten, Wien, Kohlmarkt Strasse, Map Publishing

I sank into the depths of Freytag & Berndt publishing store today afternoon. Just to see what they offer. Although working mostly in Remote Sensing, I am still interested in cartography and to look on the maps was always my hobby. I got few impressions:

1) This store is really popular, people are everywhere and not willing to move (thats for other chapter ..)
2) I have never seen this amount of maps, atlases, and geographic books together
3) Either I got stupid during those 3 years in US, or the Austrian navigation system is pretty complecated.. to find the right map for particular region is like looking for a needle in the stuck of hay



4) THIS IS IMPORTANT for cartographers
I saw maps of Africa made by Freytag $ Berndt before and honestly, got disgusted. I wanted to change my made during this visit. I DID NOT. Not only maps of developing countries but also hiking maps for Austria made by Freytag and Berndt do not fullfill basic cartographic rules.

I just hope that their books are good. Hard to know, most is in german, and my german is not at the stage to critize the stylization. Anyway, I honestly hope to improve my opinion. Anybody is gonna convince me?? I bough a nice map of Alps, though. Made by KOMPASS. With the same price, their maps have considerable better quality!!

WAITING FOR COMMENTS FROM Funs of Freytag and Berndt..

Btw, I did not stay for few minutes, after 1.5 hours of browsing in this store I decided that I really have to go to work..

No comments: