Friday, October 05, 2007

Badlands, who would like to live here

I promised a while ago to post some more info about my holiday in USA. Here is a small section about Badlands. I think that the pictures speak the best but let me just tell you a short story as well. Badlands in summer that means 100 - 120 F, thats more than 40 Degrees Celsius, and lot of wind which is sometimes warm as well. You really dont feel like leaving the car, but if you do so, you will get a nice reward. Staying among the dunes far from the road, you can get that feeling of the first pioneers crossing this land. You may wonder how could some of these settle here? I wonder especially since I know that lot of them were Czechs.



For those interested how did Badlands appear: Aprox 37 to 28 millions year ago this land was well watered and much warmer than today. Uplift raised the land around 5 millions years ago and the White River which was passing through eroded a scarp, the beginning of what is now called the Wall. Since than every bigger rainstorm chewed away part of the Wall. This is one of a typical stories in old arid and semiarid regions in western and southwestern USA.

No comments: