Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

Am I so conservative? Maybe, let me know

I saw this movie last friday, thought about the gags and jokes over weekend and tried to evaluated everything. Did not change my first impression, though. How can Sacha Cohen publish rude and irritating jokes about nation most of the Americans do not have any clue about.

In my opinion, these types of jokes are not suppose to be presented as a "blockbuster" movie. Why? I will give you an example. I saw this movie with my friend and 30 American teenagers (the only audience which came) in a movie theater in South Dakota. Most of them never heard about this state and think actually that its a part of Russia. This was their first impression about the ninth largest country in the world.

I like Sacha's type of humor. To some extent this reminds me of Monty Python. They however make fun of things people are familiar with. Borat is the type of movie which nations do about themselves, but in most cases do not allow to go abroad, especially not to the US.

1 comment:

Madlenkita said...

Ahoj Macku! Nejsi zadna konzerva!Shodou okolnosti jsem to taky videla minulej patek a smala jsem se celou dobu, ale mam uplne stejnej nazor. Kdyby to Kazachstan natocil sam o sobe, tak by to bylo super, ale delat si srandu z cizi zeme o ktere navic nikdo v USA nic nevi a tudiz tomu na sto procent uveri, je dost problem. Kino asi dve hodiny po promitani vyhorelo, takze je mozny, ze v publiku byl nejakej nastvanej student z Kazachstanu s krabickou sirek...